Thursday, February 15, 2007

Burj Dubai: More Marketing Bombast


I have family in town and I was checking the internet about seeing the Burj Dubai Visitor Center I had heard about. When I visited the Burj Dubai website I was greeted with this incredible piece of prose:


Monument.

Jewel.

Icon.

Burj Dubai will be known by many names.

But only a privileged group of people will call it home.

There are a select few who possess the vision, resources, and the opportunity to live in the world’s tallest building. If you have that opportunity, you are assured not just unparalleled luxury, but a place in history. And in Dubai’s future.

It seems the only thing to eclipse Dubai's Skyline is the marketing mantra. I'm sure there are many people of the region who recognize that 'a place in history' is gained not by owning 'stuff' but from hard work, ingenuity, education, and creativity channeled toward creating an unparalleled society. Not having enough money to rent an apartment in a really tall building.

No comments: