Saturday, February 10, 2007

Comment on "The DaVinci Code" (better late than never!)

This past summer my mother was the 17th person to ask me what I thought of the DaVinci Code. I presented my well researched answer for her. Then she had to go and immediately follow with the question, "Have you read the book?" I hate that.

Well, I decided I better read the book if I was going to be able to answer yes to all the other people who would surely continue to pester me with the "have you actually read it" question.

Not able to bear paying full price for the book (due to my pre-conceived notions) I picked up a used copy (there must be millions of those around) and read it.

If you haven't read the book you only need to read my post here and then, when you're asked "that" question, you can say with great confidence, "well, I read all the important parts."

Seriously, many authors who have philosophical ideas that they want to communicate will sum up their opinions at important junctures in the book. And Dan Brown does just that. The quote is below and it will tell you basically what he believes. If you think that his book is merely fiction and he has no agenda in the book then you need to read his website (google it) and you will see that he does in fact have an agenda.

The excerpt below is a conversation between the two main characters, Langdon and Sophie. Langdon and Sophie are chasing documents (they think) that will "prove" that Jesus was merely human and was married to Mary Magdeline...

"There's an enormous difference between hypothetically discussing an alternate history of Christ, and ..." He paused.

"And what?"

"And presenting to the world thousands of ancient documents as scientific evidence that the New Testament is false testimony."

"But you told me the New Testament is based on fabrications."

Langdon smiled. "Sophie, every faith in the world is based on fabrication. That is the difinition of faith - acceptance of that which we imagine to be true, that which we cannot prove. Every religion describes God through metaphor, allegoary, and exaggeration, from the early Egyptians through modern Sunday school. Metaphors are a way to help our minds process the unprocessible. The problems arise when we begin to believe literally in our own metaphors."

"So you are in favor of the Sangreal documents (documents that the book purports would prove the New Testament false) staying buried forever?"

"I'm a historian. I'm opposed to the destruction of documents, and I would love to see religious scholars have more information to ponder the exceptional life of Jesus Christ."

"You're arguing both sides of my question."

"Am I? The Bible represents a fundamental guidepost for millions of people on the planet, in much the same way the Koran, Torah, and Pali Canon offer guidance to people of other religions. If you and I could dig up documentation that contradicted the holy stories of Islamic belief, Judaic belief, Buddhist belief, pagan belief, should we do that? Should we wave a flag and tell the Buddhists that we have proof the Buddha did not come from a lotus blossom? Or that Jesus was not born of a literal birth? Those who truly understand their faiths understand the stories are metaphorical."

Sophie looked skeptical. "My friends who are devout Christians definitely believe that Christ literally walked on water, literally turned water in wine, and was born of a literal virgin birth."

"My point exactly," Langdon said. "Religious allegory has become a part of the fabric of reality. And living in that reality helps millions of people cope and be better people."

"But it appears their reality is false."

Langdon chuckled. "No more false than that of a mathematical cryptographer who believes in the imaginary number 'i' because it helps her break codes."

Sophie frowned. "That's not fair."
A moment passed.

"What was your question again?" Langdon asked.

"I can't remember."

He smiled. "Works every time."
Brown believes that:

1. All people who really understand their faith understand that it's merely metaphorical
2. We shouldn't reveal the truth to those who literally believe the stories in their books of faith because it helps them cope and be better people.

Can you see the arrogance in his beliefs? First of all he is assuming that he has a better and more true understanding of God and belief than all those other people who literally believe their faith stories.

And he believes that it's only people like him (I guess the 'enlightened ones') who can be good people and know the real truth - that books like the New Testament are really just fabrication. In other words, believing in falsehood has become a part of the fabric of reality so let's just let them keep their silly little beliefs if it helps them cope with life.

There's a lot more that could be said about this but I'll stop here. Any comments from readers on what you see in this excerpt from Dan Brown? Any questions?

No comments: