Sunday, August 17, 2008

The First Week Back in Dubai

We returned to Dubai just 7 days ago. Whenever I return to the US I notice things in Dubai... first impressions all over again. Here's what has stood out to me despite the the mental haze that jet-lag creates.

1. It's really hot and extremely humid here. (Yes, worse than Memphis or Houston)
2. You need sunglasses here. The sun is blinding.
3. So many things are white or beige... buildings, sand, etc. (see point #2 above)
4. So many nationalities.
5. Traffic is so awful you avoid driving whenever possible.
6. Construction and cranes as far as the eye can see.
7. The newspaper is full of advertisements... almost as much ad space as newscopy.
8. You become more aware of world events - like the recent death of a famous Palestinian poet or the murder of a famous Lebanese singer in Dubai.
9. It's really hot and extremely humid. (Did I say that already? :)

I'm glad to be back though... Marhaba Dubai!

3 comments:

LDU said...

how long has dubai been home?

Brian64 said...

Hey Idu... just back in town from traveling again. I've been in Dubai for 6 years now. If I'm not mistaken you live in Australia? How long has that been home for you?

LDU said...

Since birth