Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pre-Flight Islamic Prayer on Jazeera Airways

I went to Kuwait last weekend to see one of my children in a school sports tournament. One of the wonderful things that has developed in the region in the last 5 years or so are low cost regional airlines. Jazeera Airways, a Kuwaiti airline, is one such company. I got a roundtrip air ticket from Dubai for about 360 AED (100 USD).

The flights were great and one very interesting aspect of this particular airline is that before every takeoff there is an Islamic prayer for travel that is broadcast on the airplane television screens. You hear someone performing the prayer (it's a recording) and see the Arabic text scrolling onscreen. It takes about 1 minute or so total. The video below is of the last 30 seconds of the prayer with my phone camera focused on the screen. You can't see the scrolling words but you can hear the prayer pretty well.



I've not experienced this prayer on any of the other flights out of Dubai. I've wondered if it's on Jazeera since it's out of Kuwait and Kuwait tends to be more religiously conservative than the UAE.

I tried to google "Islamic Travel Prayer" and came up with a number of hits. This one seemed to make the most sense but I still don't know if it is the actual prayer that is being spoken on the video. If someone who knows Arabic could listen to the video and tell me if the prayer is the one I've got printed here I would appreciate it.

Allah is the Most Great. Allah is the Most Great. Allah is the Most Great. Glory is to Him Who has provided this for us though we could never have had it by our efforts. Surely, unto our Lord we are returning. O Allah, we ask You on this our journey for goodness and piety, and for works that are pleasing to You . O Allah , lighten this journey for us and make its distance easy for us . O Allah, You are our Companion on the road and the One in Whose care we leave our family . O Allah , I seek refuge in You from this journey's hardships, and from the wicked sights in store and from finding our family and property in misfortune upon returning.

Also, what do you think about the idea of a 'travel prayer'? Does it make sense? What about the others onboard who are not Muslims... Does this make sense for them?

2 comments:

M said...

I always hear this travel prayer on Pakistan International Airlines as well as on Saudia. I've never had an issue with this prayer, and I havent seen anyone making an issue or a non muslim on a flight getting all irritated by this prayer.

The prayer used on the above mentioned airlines is this one:

Glory be to Him (Allah) who has brought this (vehicle) under our control though we were unable to control it. Sure, we are to return to our Lord.

In Arabic it would be: Subhanalla-thee sakh-khara-lana haatha wa-ma kun-na lahoo muqrineena wa inna ila Rabbina la-mun-qali-boon.

It's just one phrase and takes not even 15 secs.

What you posted up is another variation of the travel prayer. :-)

M

Brian64 said...

Thanks M and Menachem for posting. Both of you had interesting additions and insights into the airline prayer. Menachem, I'm going to go check that Psalms reference. And the example of Safed dealing with scantily clad tourists sounds intense. I guess I'm forewarned if I go there!