Saturday, April 28, 2007

New Canal to the Arabian Sea Passing through My Neighborhood!



I had heard rumors over the last year that a canal or water passageway was going to coming through our neighborhood. And the survey crews that have been spotted in the neighborhood over the last 6 months or so did seem suspicious.

Well, now we have confirmation. This Gulf News story confirms it. The canal is due to pass about 100 meters from my front door. I can throw a rock and hit the street which is set to be it's bank nearest our villa.

I have no idea what this means for our villa. I haven't called my landlord yet. But I'm leery that our villa's may be torn down to make way for 'waterfront property'. That would be shame. And we're not excited about the prospect of moving in Dubai. I'm sure where ever we go we'll get less space for more more money in a less convenient location.

But we know God will look out for us. He's been faithful before so he'll be faithful in the future.

From a city-planning perspective I can see why they would want to put this in. They are creating lots of docking areas back near Business Bay next to the Burj Dubai and those people would only have the creek as their outlet to the Sea. This extension to the Creek allows for two access points to the Sea. But it will make a further mess of traffic. The canal will necessitate a new bridge over Beach Road, Wasl Road, and Sheikh Zayed Road. These will be a mess during and after their construction. They will be 'pinch points' that will be the only ways for cars to pass over the canal. And they will install toll booths on Sheikh Zayed this summer so only two of the three will be toll free. I think it's a big mistake.

1 comment:

Mansour said...

This is Dubai for you! I thought maybe the value of your villa would jump up being a potential water front property. But I am not sure whether they would actually demolish it or not. It's interesting to see the way Dubai is progressing. Today's paper highlight the arrival of Universal land at Dubai land..bit too much if you ask me. Dubai has certainly lost its charm that it had when I first came here. Now its all in your face! lol!
mansur