Sunday, March 18, 2007

"Secular" vs. "Religious" Muslims- Interesting Washingtonpost.com Opinion

Geneive Abdo - A More Islamic Islam - washingtonpost.com

This is an interesting article in the Washington Post today about what the author terms "secular" vs. "religious" Muslims in the West. There were two rival conferences for Muslims in America that were recently held in Florida and she uses the two to contrast the groups. The author thinks that the secular Muslims are a small and shrinking minority that only the media pundits and conservative politicians like to highlight and encourage.

I think I agree with her. The media pundits and politicians don't understand that a 'secularized' Islam is basically meaningless and powerless just as a 'secularized' Christianity is meaningless and powerless. But this is the version of religion that they'd prefer of course. In the end, I don't see how Muslims can take the Qur'an and Hadith seriously and still allow for this 'secularization'.

1 comment:

M said...

Hey,

I do have Muslim friends who claim they are very serious Muslims yet still do things that run contrary to their beliefs...these people exist out there.

I added you on my new blog-- www.livingforisa.blogspot.com, not my other one.

M