Monday, March 05, 2007

Biryani Muqabla: Like a West Asian "Chili Cookoff"

via GulfNews

In America, a popular culinary community event is a chili cookoff. In Dubai, it's equivalent would be a Biryani Muqabla or Biryani "preparation competition". The Mumtaz Mahal restaurant recently sponsored a muqabla in Dubai that featured 10 finalists from the area.

Biryani is a popular dish of rice, meat, yogurt, and various spices. It originates in the Middle East and the Iran, India, Pakistan region. It comes in endless varieties making it a great candidate for cooking competitions. Biryani is a fantastic meal and I highly recommend that you try some. If you're in the West you'll need to find a good Indian or Iranian resturant. I'd be surprised if you live in Dubai and you've never tried it!

1 comment:

Mohammed UK said...

How did I miss this??

I think I will be there the next time.

Best Biryani in Al Ain is at Bukhara restaurant (eat al-fresco).