Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wedad Lootah: A Progressive Emirati Marriage Counselor and Author


There was a fascinating article in the Gulf News this past weekend.  It really pushed the boundaries for publishing in this region in my opinion.  The article is about a female marriage counselor who has stirred things up in local society here by publishing a book about Emirati marriage problems with a big focus on sexual problems.  The article is written in a stilted style and seems like it might have been poorly translated.  Nevertheless, it's worth a read to get a glimpse of what's "rocking the boat" here in the UAE and about some interesting cultural practices and norms in the society.  Here's an excerpt:


I always feel that the bedroom is the base for happiness in marriage. When bed and love are combined, it will be the climax of marriage happiness. And even if there is no love, treating the woman well also leads to happiness. But what is not acceptable is when there is neither love nor is the man taking care of the woman.

A recent example of this is the case of a woman who came to me asking for a divorce because she said her husband had abandoned her in bed for nine years. Other counselors might take the words and submit an "abandonment case". But I talked to her and told her she was like my daughter. She said she didn't want to live with him anymore, and she couldn't. I explained to her that I want to do her a favour and talk to her husband, which I did though she said 'No need'. When I called him, he laughed and told me it is she who refused to share the bed with him. He came to me and we discussed the case in person...


Read the article here

No comments: