Thursday, February 28, 2008

NYTimes Report: U.S. Universities Expand to the Gulf

Fascinating New York Times pictorial and written report on US Universities expanding into the Arabian Gulf region. One of the Universities mentioned is George Mason in Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE. I was just up in RAK in December teaching a seminar at the RAK Women's College. I saw the signs to George Mason University when I drove through the town (yes, it's not really a city).

I'd like to develop some seminar and training business at George Mason in the future. The second picture below is the women's college. And yes, that's a moat around the building. Though it's not filled with water you might guess why they'd put a moat around the women's college... (hint: the men's college is close by :)

On that day I taught both men (pictured) and women. It was only the second time in their college careers that they'd done anything together. The area is very conservative. I asked about a picture with the female students but none would agree to a picture with my camera. They did take one for themselves with their camera though.

It was a great group of students and I really enjoyed working with them. I hope it works out to go back sometime. By the way, it's about an hour drive from Dubai.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The RAK Women's College

Photobucket

The male student government leaders from the RAK Men's College

No comments: