Saturday, January 05, 2008

Back to Blogging... And a Few Dubai Christmas Pictures

I've taken some time off work to be with the family during this Christmas season and that always means my blogging slows down. But there's much to post and discuss so it's time to jump back in!

Before I move on to other news and ideas I've given you a few pictures I took during the Christmas season here in Dubai. Dubai is a wonderful place in the Arabian peninsula in that they allow the celebration of Christmas. I'm thankful for that. But I think that much of the motivation for the demonstrably public nature of Christmas is for merchandising reasons. Dubai retailers have learned the "cash cow" that a commercialized Christmas can be. It's kind of a shame but again, I'm grateful for the allowances that are made for celebrating this Christian remembrance in an Islamic country.


"Santa-Hat" clad checkout workers and baggers at Spinney's Grocery Store



Arab musicians at Mall of the Emirates. I don't think there was any special Christmas connection here.


The Filipino Church, a partner with our church, came to do Christmas caroling at our home one night! They sounded great and even sang a Christmas song in Tagalog, the main language of the Philippines.



Here's a short (and low quality) video of the Tagalog song they sang for us.

2 comments:

LDU said...

Christmas decorations are widely visible in a number of Muslim countries including Malaysia, Indonesia and most of the Middle Eastern countries with the exception of Saudi Arabia.

Bony and Clyde. said...

Nice...this is true relationship religion in peace exception in Indonesia.