Monday, December 10, 2007

Is Cleanliness Next to Godliness?

I recently had to buy four new tires. As I waited at the local petrol station for the new ones to be put on the car I noticed a sign I'd never seen before in that garage. "Cleanliness is Next to Godliness". Now I've heard that saying before but never seen it posted in a auto garage!

I understand the desire to have the workers keep their work environment clean. It would promote safety in the work place and an image of excellence. But IS cleanliness next to godliness? Does the cleaning of your body or your environment enable you to better draw near to God and be like him?

A few things come to mind.

Jesus said stuff like this on the subject.


Mark 7:14-23 Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. “All of you listen,” he said, “and try to understand. It’s not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart.”

Then Jesus went into a house to get away from the crowd, and his disciples asked him what he meant by the parable he had just used. “Don’t you understand either?” he asked. “Can’t you see that the food you put into your body cannot defile you? Food doesn’t go into your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer.” (By saying this, he declared that every kind of food is acceptable in God’s eyes.)

And then he added, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.”

In Islam, one place and time where physical purity is necessary is during prayer. Muslims must physically cleanse themselves for their prayers to be heard by God and therefore effective. The cleansing procedure is called Wudu.

Islamonline.net says, "Muslims must have perfect ritual prayers to pray the Salah (ritual prayers). Here is an excerpt from their posting on the subject.

Physical purity means cleanliness of the body, clothing and environment. According to the rules of Islam, Muslims should keep their bodies and clothing clean from any impurities, especially the body wastes of humans and animals.

Islam insists on the use of clean water to cleanse the body of impurities, and only when water is not available can a person use other things. Even the clothing should be perfectly clean from any impurities. For that reason, Muslim bathrooms have a source of running water or pitchers of water next to the toilet.

Similarly, any animal discharges — including the saliva of dogs — are unclean and Muslims should make sure their clothing, environment, and bodies are free of those impurities.

Muslims must have perfect physical purity to pray the Salah (ritual Prayers).

You are in this state of ritual purity of wudu’ until you urinate or defecate, pass wind, sleep, or become unconscious. If you do any of these things before or during the Salah, you must repeat the wudu’.

The history of the phrase itself seems to indicate that it came from ancient Hebrew writings of the 2nd century A.D. In English it appears to have derived from Sir Francis Bacon and then later John Wesley, the famous Christian evangelist, mentions it in a sermon in 1791.

As a follower of Jesus, I tend to think that cleanliness doesn't have much to do with godliness at all. I can see where an understanding that one's body is a creation and gift from God should lead one to take care of your body. And there are some references to working hard with your hands (as opposed to being idle) in the New Testament. But cleanliness is hardly a "doorway" to godliness.

What do you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"As a follower of Jesus"...

Horus – Egyptian sun god 3000BC, Born on December 25th of virgin Isis, accompanied by a star in the east. Adorned by 3 kings.

Attis – Greece 1200 BC, Born on December 25th , Crucified, dead for 3 days, resurrected after death.

Krishna – India 900 BC, Born of virgin Divake with star in the east, performed miracles, upon death resurrected.

Dionysus – Greece 500 BC, Born of a virgin on December 25th, turned water into wine, upon death resurrected.

Mithra – Persia 1200 BC, Born of a virgin December 25th, had 12 disciples, performed miracles, dead for 3 days upon death, then resurrected, worship day was Sunday.

There have been numerous saviours born on December 25th and who performed miracles, had disciples and were resurrected etc:

Krishna of Hindustan, Budda Sakia of India, Salivahana of Bermuda, Zulis, Orus and Osiris of Egypt, Odin of the Scandinavians, Crite of Chaldea, Zoroaster and Mithra of Persia, Baal and Taut “The only begotten of God” of Phoenicia, Indra of Tibet, Bali of Afghanistan, Jao of nepal, Wittoba of the Bilingonese, Thammuz of Syria, Atys of Phrygia, Xamolxis of Thrace, Zoar of the Bonzes, Adad of Assyria, Deva Tat of Siam amongst dozen of others.

Brian64 said...

Hi Nicola,
I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make... is it about this post on "cleanliness next to godliness"? Can you clarify?

Anonymous said...

My point is that using Jesus (who may be overrated) or religion as your measuring stick undermines human mentality.

You can rely on human instinct in knowing what is good or what is bad. Religion enslaves its subjects. Humans are powerful creatures, and our intellect is superior.

Would it no be wonderful if you do stuff because you think it's right and not because of what your faith instructs you.

Brian64 said...

Hi Nicola,
Thanks for making that more clear. I guess I don't feel suppressed or oppressed mentally or in any other way because of my faith in Jesus. When I look at people depending on their human instincts for life I see lying, cheating, pain, anger, and selfish sexual indulgence. And I see those same instincts in my self... apart from Jesus. Putting faith in Jesus and his perfect life lived for me and his death died for me has freed me from the grip of sin in my life. Now I live for him and I find power (not absolute) for not giving into those instincts in myself.

You should consider the words of Jesus as communicated in the first four books of the New Testament. Many of these other figures that you've mentioned in your post are either mythical figures and/or had a much different message than Jesus.

M said...

Hey brian,

I remember when I was a Muslim, I had to go through the ritual of wudu, and had I missed one thing or the other, my prayer would not be valid. I had to wash every part (nose, mouth, arms, feet, arms) three times, and if for example I did it twice, my prayer would be invalid. If I slept inbetween prayers, or passed wind, that meant I was impure to perform prayers and had to wash myself all over again. In the context of Islam, cleanliness refers to physical cleanliness, not as you mention being clean spiritually.

I would always ask parents why I had to do my wudu in order to pray. I would be told that God is Holy and I need to wash myself so I can be clean as my prayer is communicating with Allah. When I tell them that God is Holy and we are not holy, and only JC can bridge that gap between us and God, they refuse to understand. :-)

As for Nicole's comments, that argument itself is half baked as I saw that video where the makers of it claimed that throughout history there have been other figures who are similar to Jesus. But little research of your own online shows that makers of the videos use superficial arguments. Can't believe people have the audacity to post stuff online making such strong accusations against Jesus. I am not posting that video here because it doesn't deserves to be. :-)

Cheers! and peace!

M

Garden of Paradise said...

Brother,

We need to bother about the direct translation of the wordings or the sentence. Instead, we need to realize that being in a clean state (both physically and mentally) attracts the pleasure of the Almighty LORD and we may be rewarded for that depending on our intentions.

This is what I have in my mind to say regarding this. It is far more better to ponder around the concept "how to keep our body and minds clean" rather than thinking about the direct meaning of this quotation. If the LORD wills, I hope I am right in my stand.

Thanks and may The Almighty LORD guide you and all the people of the book.
--
A well wisher of all

Brian64 said...

Thanks for your thoughts and comments Mohamed...
Brian