Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Passing the Ice Bar in Dubai

I had to go by an electronics/computer store today and get a new printer for our office and that took me to the new Times Square Mall on Sheikh Zayed Road. As I drove over I remembered that the new "Chillout Lounge", a 21 degree Fahrenheit, all-ice bar had opened to much fanfare in early August. (See this article in the Washington Post).

I happened by it and snapped a couple pictures in the window. In one you can see the ice sculpture in the shape of the Dubai skyline and in the other you can barely make out two figures huddled together in parkas. Supposedly it costs about 60AED (or $17) for the cover charge, use of parkas and gloves, and a hot chocolate drink.

What a crazy idea... I don't know if I'll ever go in. I'd rather go eat a good Lebanese or Thai meal for that kind of money.




3 comments:

LDU said...

that's fully sick

M said...

Please don't bother going in there. Although its a novel idea, it's an idea that will die out fast. They tried hard to cash in on Ski Dubai's popularity but doesn't come anywhere near it. Plus you cannot last in there for more than 30 mins, unless you are an eskimo! lol!

M

Brian64 said...

Hey M!, good to hear from you. Yeah, I don't think I'll be going in anytime soon. Seems like a waste of money.